3 missing, one dead after crash in US Virgin Islands
Sat, October 13, 2012 - 3:30 PM
CHARLOTTE AMALIE - At least three people are missing and one person was dead after a small plane that was delivering newspapers crashed today in the US Virgin Islands, officials said.
The Piper PA-23-250 plane went down just eight miles south of the airport in St Thomas, said Jose Nazario, airport manager for the island’s Port Authority.
The plane had been delivering newspapers to the island of St Croix and was returning to St Thomas after picking up a couple of passengers, said David Mapp, interim Port Authority executive director.
He said rescue crews are still trying to recover more bodies. Among the dead is the pilot, identified as Kirby Hodge, Nazario said.
It is unclear what led to the crash.
The plane's certification status had been terminated, according to records with the U.S Federal Aviation Administration. (AP)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Pan Wallie commented on Money woes hurting Jack
- Pan Wallie commented on Broomes hurt by turning of table
- Nigel Nicholls commented on Banks Calendar Girl Top 8 picked
- Tony Webster commented on Doctors working overtime on virus
- Wayne Webster commented on Ganja found in container at Port