AWRIGHT DEN: So ungrateful

AWRIGHT DEN: So ungrateful

By Corey Worrell | Thu, November 22, 2012 - 12:00 AM

A few nights ago, I sat in my living room and was telling God with tears flowing how challenging this season in my life is and how frustrating it is not to be able to buy certain things and satisfy some of my desires.

Right there and then God said to me: “What you already have is much more than you currently need. Just look around you.”

At first I didn’t really get it, but then I realized what He was saying was so true.

I have a family, a home and a wonderful, beautiful and pleasant wife. I have two beautiful and unique daughters.

I have a church family that loves me and supports me. I have pastors who want the best for me.

I have all my limbs and senses and a sound mind.

I have furniture, a TV, stove, fridge, microwave, washing machine, curtains, dining room table, laptop, Wi-Fi and a cellphone.

I am able to pay my rent, electricity, gas, Internet and Netflix. I have a vehicle, a job, clothes, shoes and a warm bed. I have a fan (thank you, Jesus, for that – lol)

I have soap, toothpaste, cream and mouthwash.

I can sit and worry and complain about the things that I don’t have or that I want right now or I can choose to rejoice and be grateful for the things that I do have.

When I look around me, God has blessed me indeed.

I know what it is like to have to walk most places, “bum” a lift or catch the bus, but now I have a vehicle. I know what it is like to have people laugh at my imitation brand name and cheap shoes as a child, so I rejoice and take care of my Kenneth Coles and Pumas.

I know what it is like to want to play guitar and for years no one would let me use theirs, so I rejoice and glorify God for the guitars I now have.

I know what it is like being in the mission field in Australia and having little while others would go to McDonalds every weekend and would swipe their debit card when they needed something, so I rejoice in being able to stop at a shop and buy a “bread and two” or even buy a hot dog from a gas station.

I remember being in Uganda and seeing no children at all wearing shoes, so I rejoice about the ones I do have.

I remember being in Haiti and learning that millions of children can’t afford to go to school or receive warm meals a day, so I rejoice about being able to get an education and for receiving school meals.

I remember being laughed at because when I was in fourth form I had never been on an airplane, so I rejoice and thank God for allowing me to travel to more than 20 countries.

I know what it is like to have to borrow a friend’s laptop or go by a friend to print a document, so I am grateful for my printer and Apple computer.

I know what it is like to be hindered from travelling due to a lack of funds, so I am grateful for those friends, strangers and organizations that paid and continue to pay for me to attend international conferences and go on mission trips.

I know what it is like not being allowed to voice my opinion and feeling like my contribution isn’t valued, so I rejoice and say a hearty thank you to Kaymar Jordan, former Editor-in-Chief of the Nation, for giving me this opportunity to write these articles.

Lord, I repent and ask your forgiveness for my ungratefulness. There is so much You have blessed me with and allowed me to experience, yet I complain. I ask You to help me renew my mind, reform my heart and reshape my attitude. Help me, Lord, to be grateful for all that You have given and continue to give and help me to share some of what I have with others.

I owed a debt I could not pay, and Christ paid my debt, which He did not owe, and for that I am eternally thankful.

• Corey Worrell is a former Commonwealth ambassador.

Posted by kim Harris 1 year, 5 months ago
This is really a column for true??? The Nation can not see what nonsense this writer writes every week. I think the Nation can do much better.

Really now

Posted by Daniel Burton 1 year, 5 months ago
Next time ya talking wid "God" ask him how he manage to leff out Haiti.

Posted by angie sterling 1 year, 5 months ago
What's even more amazing is that the Nation didn't discard the above contribution from Ms. Harris.
Really Now!!
Corey, keep up the good work. Your column is usually quite inspirational and a breath of fresh air each week and looked forward to by many.

Posted by RANDY BRIDGEMAN 1 year, 5 months ago
Ms. Harris, as far as I know, no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this column. If you don't like what the author writes, don't read it. Plain and simple.

Evidently, you're reading Mr. Worrell's column quite often based on what you wrote. Here's a young man who shares with readers how the Lord has blessed him/family and you have the gall to criticize him. Sounds as if you have some personal vendetta against him or are simply envious.

Why don't you share what the Lord has done for you? Everyone has something for which to be thankful. You're no exception. Remember James 1:17, "All good gifts come from GOD...."

Mr. Harris, keep on keeping on in the name of the Lord. We give glory to GOD when we privately and public share what the Lord is doing in our lives. And when He gets the glory, there's no limit as to what He will do in behalf of those who give thanks for things well done.

Posted by wayne husbands 1 year, 5 months ago
WELL SAID BRIDGEY....'HOARSE

Posted by kim Harris 1 year, 4 months ago
Glorying the Lord is one thing, speaking of your material things, and trying to boast of them each and every time is another.

Dont get them twisted. Let some one else boast of what you have achieved, not every column same nonsense all the time. I have had enough of this writer's nonsense and his need to glorify himself and his family constantly.

Please don't let us be naive. Glorify the Lord if that is what you are intending to do. Please spare us all the stupid unnecessary details.

Posted by dirty okra 1 year, 4 months ago
It's good to realize what you have and be grateful for it. At the same time it's important that you never stop trying to better yourself. It's important to go after what you want in life and if you become too complacent or too comfortable you lose that "eye of the tiger" in achieving your dreams. That being said I do agree with Kim Harris, his articles come off a bit snobbish. He's telling people to be happy for what they have while at the same time letting everyone know that he basically has everything that most people want. So it kind of takes away from the essence of his point. A bit like caressing one cheek then slapping the next.
peace

Posted by Pan Wallie 1 year, 4 months ago
I am glad that you were quickly able to overcome the self pity and recognise your wants from your needs. Thank you for reminding us all that we must always be grateful for small mercies. We need to be reminded more and more. In writing though, be careful not to advertise your material gains. Remember that in Bim 'them ungodly ones' always know where you live, and I don't want to read in your next article about tears flowing because they break the place and steal the Wi Fi or the pumas. Blessings always.

Posted by D. Stoute 1 year, 4 months ago
The true test is how we react if and when these material possessions are suddenly snatched from us. I see Bajans -- Christian or otherwise - lusting after material possessions with as much fervor as the big-up countries. I remember that as a child growing up in Barbados everyone in my neighborhood was poor, yet we seemed to find pleasure and contentment in the simple things of life. I guess this is the price of progress. Advertise what you have and lust for more.

While we're at it, are we questioning why God is raining down on blessings on our lives while, as was earlier mentioned, people in countries like Haiti can't catch a break? Is God playing favorites? And if Jesus could do without, why can't his followers?

Posted by Corey Worrell 1 year, 3 months ago
Daniel Burton, God has not missed out Haiti.

Haiti, Somalia, Sudan, Congo and the list goes on is in the state there are in because of people.

Most if not all the issues in the world is caused by people and their greed and unkindness.

Posted by Corey Worrell 1 year, 3 months ago
Kim Harris, you consider my column as nonsense yet you read it. Others are inspired by them and continue to read them.

Life is about making choices, no one has or is forcing you to read them. If i offend you by sharing my experience just don't read them.

You speak about glorifying God in your comment. Is your contribution based on experience or what you have head or read?

If you read the scriptures you would see evidence of people glorifying God by sharing what he has done and given them.

You said I should allow people to share of what God has given me.

Let me ask a question: If others are to share about what i have achieved either two things would have to occur:

1. I would have to tell them (which you are opposed to)

2. They would have to come by me and see.

The details in the article are stupid to you but I have received quite a few emails of people who have been encouraged to see the blessings in their lives, regardless of how small they are and be grateful for them since there are so many who don't have.

Posted by kim Harris 1 year, 2 months ago
If you need to highlight your material stuff, if that is what you are grateful for, then Mr Corey Worrell, I am sorry for you. And if you are doing it through Barbados Nation Newspaper, then like my first comment, I am appalled that this is the type of stories they are encouraging. But if you feel the need to highlight all of your worthy possessions, then my brother what ever makyou feel like a man. Very and extremely petty to me, but whatever makes you smile. And if you feel the need to invite persons by you to see your worthy, worldly possessions, oh my, by all means do that too. If you feel enough have not know by now, have a big show off party.

Stupse - Shameful. You must be have the Lord shaking his head from the nonsense you wrote.

Do you think the latest attempt to regulate the public service vehicle sector will be successful?

• Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 2014 04 23