Nation e-Edition

Bank share offer

Bank share offer

By Geralyn Edward, Business Editor | Wed, November 07, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Four months after renaming Barbados National Bank (BNB) the Republic Bank Barbados Limited, the parent company now wants to buy out every share left in the institution, taking 100 per cent control.

It also plans to delist the company from the Barbados Stock Exchange.

This was contained in an offer issued yesterday to Barbadian shareholders in which Republic Bank Limited of Trinidad and Tobago has also given them one month to decide if they would accept the $5 per share offer.

But already some shareholders are grumbling as the offer price is 50 cents less than the current market value of $5.50 on the Barbados Stock Exchange (BSE), where it was among the three securities traded yesterday.

Please read the full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION, or in the eNATION edition.

  • Editor's Choice

Share your thoughts

Please sign in or register to post your comments.

Page 1 of 1 pages

Posted by Tony Waterman 1 year, 5 months ago
Bajans are always complaining about how the Trinis are treating them,now is your chance to get back at them, if they want those shares charge them $10.00 pr share if the want them bad enough they WILL pay, otherwise keep them especially if they are dividend paying shares.they have a demand and you have the supply.be like Mary Redman of The BSTU, state your case and STICK to it and you WILL WIN.

  • 4
Posted by Belle Brewster 1 year, 5 months ago
I hope when this happens Barbadians unite for once and remove their savings. It is about time that we keep the remainder of Barbados for Barbadians and have some loyalty to ourselves and our people. How many Barbadian owned businesses are in Trinidad? How many Trinidadian owned businesses are in Barbados? We are a society of sellouts and we have no sense of nationalism. Its time to stop the nonsense. This could be another CLICO .

  • 1
Posted by Bim Bum 1 year, 5 months ago
All the proud Bajans who holding
...should continue to hold...not so?

Oreet den!

  • 0
Posted by SANDREA BUTCHER 1 year, 5 months ago
Now when the Barbados National Bank went public, poor me decided to invest in the company. They say that black people in Barbados are risk-averse, so I bit the bullet. I saw the potential of the bank. In 2003, there was an offer to purchase the shares and the GOVERNMENT of Barbados first sold 57%. Then the bright Barbadians sold an additional 8.14% to the Trinis. Currently the government of Barbados owns 18.17% and the NIS owns 10% (grand total of 93.31%). Well I am one of the people in the remaining 6.69%, and I don't feel like selling my shares. I don't care about any "liquidity in a very tight local financial market", nor I don't want no "opportunity to re-invest in other securities". Wha' wait, dem ain't want Bajans to own nutten at all? Stupse!

  • 0
Posted by Frank Husbands 1 year, 5 months ago
Sell the foolish things and stop wasting time. Barbados is dwarfed by its oil rich neighbor.Our economy can do with the money and Republic bank should be made to pay in US dollars.
If you all have a problem with this development wait until Owen get back in and see what will happen.

  • 3
Posted by dirty okra 1 year, 5 months ago
Everyone one who's made a comment so far is absolutely right. Bajans need to realize that everytime they sell out to a major corporation from another country they are also selling a part of their freedom, a part of their voice and essentially a part of their country.

  • 0

Page 1 of 1 pages

Latest Videos

Quick Poll

Do you think the latest attempt to regulate the public service vehicle sector will be successful?

View Past Polls

Stay Connected to Your World

Join Your Friends & Our Community

Your Friends' Activity

Daily Cartoons

  • April 21, 2014 - 2014 04 21
  • Sunday, April 20, 2014 toon - 2014 04 20
  • 041914 pun de block - 2014 04 19