Barbara Walters hospitalized after fallVeteran ABC newswoman Barbara Walters (AP)
Sun, January 20, 2013 - 4:47 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Veteran ABC newswoman Barbara Walters has fallen at an inauguration party in Washington and has been hospitalized.
ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider says the 83-year-old Walters fell Saturday night on a step at the residence of Britain's ambassador to the United States, Peter Westmacott. The fall left Walters with a cut on her forehead.
Schneider said Sunday "out of an abundance of caution" Walters went to a hospital for treatment of the cut and for a full examination. He says Walters is alert "and telling everyone what to do," which is "a very positive sign."
It's unclear when Walters might be released from the hospital, which ABC hasn't identified.
Walters was TV news' first female superstar, making headlines in 1976 as a network anchor with an unprecedented $1 million annual salary.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past