Barbara Walters hospitalized after fallVeteran ABC newswoman Barbara Walters (AP)
Sun, January 20, 2013 - 4:47 PM
NEW YORK (AP) — Veteran ABC newswoman Barbara Walters has fallen at an inauguration party in Washington and has been hospitalized.
ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider says the 83-year-old Walters fell Saturday night on a step at the residence of Britain's ambassador to the United States, Peter Westmacott. The fall left Walters with a cut on her forehead.
Schneider said Sunday "out of an abundance of caution" Walters went to a hospital for treatment of the cut and for a full examination. He says Walters is alert "and telling everyone what to do," which is "a very positive sign."
It's unclear when Walters might be released from the hospital, which ABC hasn't identified.
Walters was TV news' first female superstar, making headlines in 1976 as a network anchor with an unprecedented $1 million annual salary.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Pan Wallie commented on Money woes hurting Jack
- Pan Wallie commented on Broomes hurt by turning of table
- Nigel Nicholls commented on Banks Calendar Girl Top 8 picked
- Tony Webster commented on Doctors working overtime on virus
- Wayne Webster commented on Ganja found in container at Port