BCU: Matthews well looked afterDarren Matthews
By Justin Marville | Tue, November 27, 2012 - 12:00 AM
THE BARBADOS CYCLING UNION (BCU) isn’t saddling any more blame for the Darren Matthews issue.
Cycling’s governing body has finally hit back against allegations that it doesn’t recognize the achievements of its best rider, revealing that Matthews received $60 000 in sponsorship from the executive over the last three seasons.
The five-figure sum was disclosed in a letter sent out from the BCU’s secretariat detailing 11 overseas-based meets that Matthews contested at the total expense of the local executive.
“Mr Matthews has represented Barbados at several overseas meets all expenses paid by the Barbados Cycling union [and] in addition he has received sponsorship to the tune of approximately $60 000 over the past two years, all procured by the Barbados Cycling Union to assist in his training,” said BCU treasurer Faye Boyce in a letter forwarded to the media.Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Mr Psychotic commented on Foreplay giant, but still too small
- Larsen Parris commented on Fees ‘best option’
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Free education’s potential gains now in jeopardy
- Jan Shak commented on Fatal slip
- Wayne Webster commented on His money is ‘in the sea’