Beware of bogus universities!
Wed, November 07, 2012 - 12:07 AM
A call has gone out for greater protection for prospective students from the lure of bogus educational institutions.
Information officer of the Barbados Accreditation Council (BAC), Katrina Ifill, said yesterday the organization did not have power where overseas universities were concerned, but was looking to have the local laws amended so that they could be “given more teeth”.
“Educational fraud, the extent is so vast, but unfortunately unknown. Because as quickly as a fraudulent university would pop up, when they’re found out, they pull down shop, and pop up somewhere else under a different name,” said Ifill who was manning the BAC booth at a two-day college fair which opened at the Lloyd Erskine Sandiford Centre yesterday.
She said the BAC wanted to arm students with the relevant information so they would not fall victim to institutions that were not accredited. (YB)Please read the full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Tony Webster commented on Barrack negotiations continuing
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Easing the burden of families hit by disaster
- Snow Cone commented on CBS ends deal with Rihanna
- daneale o'neale commented on ‘Insult to union’
- Tony Webster commented on We must travel!