Friday, May 22, 2026

British soldiers soon out of Afghanistan

Date:

Share post:

KABUL-  Prime Minister David Cameron, on an unannounced visit to Afghanistan, said today he was confident British troops could start leaving early next year when a gradual transition to Afghan forces begins.
 
Britain has the second-biggest foreign troop contingent in Afghanistan after the United States, and Cameron has said he wants British troops out of combat roles by 2015.
 
While he has said before he wants that process to begin next year, British commanders have since tried to play down the prospect of any major withdrawals in early 2011, saying it would depend on the readiness of Afghan forces to take over and other conditions on the ground.
 
“What I’ve seen on this visit gives me confidence that our plans for transition are achievable,” Cameron told a news conference in Kabul alongside Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
 
Cameron said progress had been made in 2010 but added 2011 must be “a decisive year for the campaign” and noted NATO’s commitment, signed at a summit last month, for foreign forces to begin pulling out next year.
 
As Cameron and Karzai spoke, U.S. Defence Secretary Robert Gates, a frequent visitor to Afghanistan, arrived at the sprawling Bagram Air Base just north of the capital, Kabul.
 
Gates’s latest visit comes just as U.S. President Barack Obama reviews his Afghanistan war strategy, and a few days after the president made a trip himself to Afghanistan. (Reuters)
 

Related articles

Symmonds pushes services-led growth as Barbados eyes digital economy expansion

Minister of Energy, Business Development and Commerce Kerrie Symmonds says Barbados must move quickly to diversify its economy...

Traffic upgrades rolled out at Highway 7/Rendezvous junction

Motorists using the junction of Highway 7 and Rendezvous Road are expected to experience improved traffic flow following...

Quinn moulding young artistes

Quinn Prescott loves working with upcoming junior calypsonians and soca artistse. As the youth director of House of...

Guardiola says Man City ‘need new energy’ as exit confirmed

Pep Guardiola says Manchester City need "new energy" as he brought an end to his 10-year reign as manager. The club...