Cuba opens doors to Garcia

Cuba opens doors to Garcia Raul Garcia. (FP)

By Tim Slinger | Wed, September 11, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Home sweet home.

Finally, convicted drug courier Raul Garcia has been given the green light to return to Cuba, the country of his birth.

On Monday, officials at the Embassy of the Republic of Cuba informed Garcia that his request to be allowed to return to his homeland had been granted by the Cuban government.

“In a way I feel a little more relaxed ’cause I am going back to my country, but at the same time I feel kind of sad ’cause I get  to love this country very much,” Garcia told the MIDWEEK NATION yesterday of his bittersweet feelings.

“The people here have supported me and showed me lots of love and understanding. But we also have to follow the rules of the country and that’s why I made the request to grant me permission to return home,” he added.

His lawyer David Comissiong said Garcia upon being released from immigration detention last May, after serving his a 20-year prison sentence for drug trafficking, had written a letter to the Cuban government asking them to reverse their decision and allow him to return to his homeland.

Cuba, the United States, where he was raised, and Venezuela had all refused to take in Garcia upon his release.

Please read the full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION, or in the eNATION edition.

Posted by Carl Harper 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Cuba granting Garcia permission to return to his country of birth is the reasonable and humanitarian thing to do.

I would also like to commend Comissiong for the great job in fighting for the human rights of Garcia and bringing this saga to an end.

Adios, amigo.

Posted by Real Bajan 10 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm happy for Raul. He gets to go back to his homeland.

Posted by Terri Hoyte 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Good luck and God speed.

Posted by Cheese On 10 months, 2 weeks ago
All is Well, that Ends Well. Safe Travels Mr Garcia & I pray you continue on your path to a Changed Life! Hold on to your faith in God and Anything is Possible!

Posted by june skeete 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Finally! A new Embassy has been opened here, or have the previous 'Ambassadors' now come out of their comas and started to write all the necessary diplomatic notes etc.? Well, well, well. Been wondering what is their purpose here in Bim other than to enjoy expensive accommodation, enjoy diplomatic immunity, send in their vat claims for distilled water for their electric irons, etc. etc. SMH.

Posted by BIG SKY 10 months, 2 weeks ago
This man did his crime and did his time and If he wanted to remain in Barbados he should.Where ever he goes I wish him and his family blessings.I don't care about race,ethnicity or religion.

Posted by G Philips 10 months, 1 week ago
All the money spent on him...and he leffin bout hey lol. He wouldve had to work first and pay off what the tax payers spent on him.

Posted by Pan Wallie 10 months, 1 week ago
I am glad that this has worked out well for him and I wish him the very best. Hopefully his experience(s) throughout his twenty plus years here must have taught him enough to gear him on a positive path going foward.
We really need to be proactive. It is incumbent on our Ministries of Foreign and Home Affairs to do more towards effecting reciprocal arrangements with other countries, so that these prisoners can go home as early as possible and serve their sentences. This way it will help eliminate costs that we can ill afford, among other factors.

Posted by cold winter 10 months, 1 week ago
June agree with you 100%,
Big sky tell that to Canada, USA and England, who send back convicted drug couriers etc to countries of their births, this is not about race, this is about crimes, I wish him all the best and may God be with him

Do you think a ‘water tax’ is a viable alternative to the Municipal Solid Waste Tax?

• Tues July 22 2014 toon - 2014 07 22