DEAR CHRISTINE: Restaurant made pal and me sick

DEAR CHRISTINE: Restaurant made pal and me sick

Mon, October 29, 2012 - 12:00 AM

Dear Christine,

I am writing this letter to let you know about a restaurant I visited.

I went to the restaurant to have lunch with a friend. I ordered pudding and souse and my friend ordered pelau. We both sat and ate our lunch, but after eating, my stomach felt very upset and I wanted to vomit.

I went to an employee and told her the food was “off”. She said the inspector needed to visit the restaurant because the boss lady told them to wash off the souse to use back the next week, and the boss lady leaves rice in the deep freeze to use for other days.

The employee said she was only holding on until she could get something better.

She even said that the boss puts the fish in the deep freeze and the next day puts it in the microwave to heat up for breakfast or lunch.

She said the deep freeze wanted cleaning and the light bulb needed to be changed.

After all of this, I had to go to the doctor because I was still having stomach aches and was vomiting all the time.

I told the doctor what happened and I was diagnosed with food poisoning.

Christine, I don’t want any other person to get food poisoning from this restaurant, so please call in the food inspector.

– S.T.

Dear S.T.,

What you have just described is very serious.

Having visited the doctor, I think you are in a good position to call the health inspectors at the Ministry of Health and ask them to look into the operations at this restaurant.

Tell them about your experience. This should be done immediately.

This could also be a legal matter, as your health was put at risk.

Don’t allow this incident to go unchecked.

– CHRISTINE

Posted by dirty okra 2 years ago
So what's the name of the restaurant. What's the point of your letter if you don't let people know where this nastiness is happening?

Posted by D. Stoute 2 years ago
It is inappropriate to level a food-poisoning charge on a business in a public forum. What the customer needs to do is promptly report the business to the responsible authority, as Christine advised, and let them handle it from there. If the business is engaging in poor sanitary pratices they should be required to correct the deficiencies, with reasonable follow up; if all else fails, they should be closed down.

Posted by Ann Lewis 2 years ago
Usually food poisoning wouldn't kick in in a few minutes after eating, it take a little bit longer!! You should you don't want this woman shut down for other reasons???

Posted by Linda Smith 2 years ago
@Dirty Okra I understand where you are coming from but it is more than likely that the letter was not printed in its entirety to prevent libel lawsuits. More than likely, S.T. gave Christine the information in the hope that she may do something, or for the Nation to expose the restaurant but the Nation could not legally publish such information without verification.

Christine did the responsible thing, her response protects the public and the newspaper. S.T. had the experience, and her doctor would be able to verify her illness. I am sure the Ministry of Health would not take such a report lightly.

Posted by dirty okra 2 years ago
@Linda Smith. I understand where you are coming from. When an employee of the restaurant says the health inspector needs to come in that becomes some scary stuff because people's health is seriously at risk. I'm just wondering after this heads up warning will an inspector get a real idea of how this restaurant is run. Or will they get they see what this boss lady wants them to see, then back to business as usual?

Posted by D. Stoute 2 years ago
Perhaps what should happen with restaurants in Barbados is the same as is done here in the States -- a weekly parade of scofflaws and their offenses in the local paper. When all deficiencies are corrected, they are given a passing grade and their names removed from the offenders list and so advertised in the paper.

I must agree with Ann Lewis. Food poisoning as a rule does not immediately set in. When I got my bout of it, it was well into the evening after having had lunch. Those bugs need a minute to do their work.

Posted by Pan Wallie 1 year, 12 months ago
I am assuming that business was taken care of before this letter went to print. If the opposite occurred, before the (sometimes slow to action) Health Inspectors take action, then that action might not have reaped the desired result. Further, one has to hope that this employee, who needs the job, is willing to vouch for what she earlier divulged.
I want to comment too on the state of the bathrooms in some of these places. Although there might be high usage, that is nor reason why they should be deplorable.
@ Ann Lewis, do recognise that everybody's meatbolism is not the same. Besides eating certain foods (well prepared or not) on an empty stomach could present problems. Have you ever eaten fish which resulted in 'burn-tongue' immediately?

Posted by Ann Lewis 1 year, 12 months ago
Burn-tongue, yeah when I have put too much hot pepper sauce!!!

Do you agree with the demolition of the 100-year-old chapel at Lazaretto, Black Rock?

• October 31, 2014 - 2014 10 31