Elmo actor resignsIn this Jan. 24, 2011 file photo, Elmo puppeteer Kevin Clash poses with the "Sesame Street" muppet.
Tue, November 20, 2012 - 2:30 PM
NEW YORK - Elmo Puppeteer Kevin Clash has resigned from Sesame Street in the wake of an allegation that he had sex with an under-aged youth.
In its statement today, Sesame Workshop said “the controversy surrounding Kevin’s personal life has become a distraction that none of us want”, leading Clash to conclude “that he can no longer be effective in his job”.
“This is a sad day for Sesame Street,” the statement said.
As the announcement was made, a lawsuit was being filed in federal court in New York charging Clash with sexual abuse of a second youth. The lawsuit alleges that Cecil Singleton, then 15 and now an adult, was persuaded by Clash to meet for sexual encounters.
Clash, who had been on Sesame Street for 28 years, created the high-pitched voice and child-like persona for Elmo, a furry, red Muppet that became one of the most popular characters on the show and one of the company's most lucrative properties. (AP)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past