Emily, 108, the oldest woman in Barbados
Fri, June 03, 2011 - 12:00 AM
EMILY CLARKE has seen more sunrises and sunsets than any other female living in Barbados – at 108 years old she has.
Emily, who has been a patient of Ward Female 2 at the Gordon Cummins District Hospital since July 2009, yesterday revealed some brief patches of her life when the WEEKEND NATION visited her at the St Thomas facility.
Sitting up in her chair she was a picture of one who has aged well. However, our interview revealed that she was not having her best day as conversation was limited and Emily was clearly having some difficulty remembering things.
Her nurse Maxine Shepherd, who has worked with her since she was admitted to the hospital, said that on some days Emily was very lucid while other days she was not.
Emily said she was contented, however, to spend her days relaxing with the other patients who share the ward with her.
“I am living happy and comfortable,” she said. (LK)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past