Evicted mum in the dumpsMARIA PREVILLE inspecting the school uniform of one of her children after her house was dismantled yesterday. (Nigel Browne)
Sat, June 09, 2012 - 12:01 AM
MARIA PREVILLE of Vine Street, Bridgetown, was at her wits’ end after court-appointed marshals dismantled her modest home before curious onlookers yesterday.
Preville, 48, a mother of three, had lost her right to stay on the spot after nine years.
She had been given notice by the female landowner.
Ricardo Rolston, who described himself as a friend of Preville, said she appealed to the court in November last year and was given an extention of five months in the first instance, followed by an extra month to relocate.
As the deadline came Preville contacted “the normal agencies – (Ministry of) Housing, Urban (Development Commission) and representatives without success”, said Rolston.
“. . . We spoke to representative for the area Patrick Todd on Wednesday night and he gave her letters to take to [Ministry of] Housing and other places in order to help with the situation. But this morning the [court officer] came back and they started to demolish the house.”
Preville said: “They should have given me some more time until I get somewhere to rent. It is she land. I can’t kill she for it. She wanted me to move, even though I ain’t got nowhere to go. I will move and sleep on the road with my two children.
“If the rain starts now, where are we going? Everything mashed up and I worked hard for it. I build the house on my own. I work on construction when they were building the new prison,” she said.
Michael Wilkie, who described himself as the father of the children, said he would have taken care of the children for the night. (JS)
- Editor's Choice