Garcia case off to High CourtRaul Garcia (FP)
Tue, October 09, 2012 - 12:09 AM
THE CASE of immigration detainee Raul Garcia is headed to the law court today.
A High Court judge will this morning hear an application for a writ of habeas corpus – an order that Garcia be brought to the court – from attorney at law David Comissiong.
“We’re asking the court to issue what is called a writ of habeas corpus directed to the minister responsible for immigration and the Chief Immigration Officer, commanding them to bring the body of Raul Garcia before a judge of the Supreme Court on a stipulated date and time to enquire whether his detention is lawful,” the lawyer told the DAILY NATION yesterday as he prepared for the hearing.
Comissiong said he was hoping for a prompt ruling. (DP)Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Your Lamen commented on $60M loss
- Tanya Respect Forde commented on Rihanna, wins R&B artist, album
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: LIME’s $100m investment great news
- Judy Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I bail out because of disease?
- Frank Husbands commented on Credit unions must pull investments