Garcia on pause
By Barry Alleyne | Thu, November 01, 2012 - 12:09 AM
Just when Raul Garcia thought things were about to change for the good, they remained the same.
Now the stateless detainee of this country’s Immigration Department will have to keep his fingers crossed until November 21.
That’s because more than five hours of mediation between attorneys and a High Court judge to have his conditions improved ended in a stalemate yesterday.
Exactly one week ago, similar mediation by Justice Margaret Reifer had earned Garcia rights to have radio and television at his Dalkieth, St Michael detention facility. His attorneys David Comissiong, Ajamu Boardi and Paula Jemmott went to court again yesterday looking for a further amelioration of conditions.
That was not to be, even after a further two-hour mediation chaired in chambers by Justice Reifer.Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Marva Chase commented on Fake interpreter
- David Hall commented on Call to cut cost of travel in region
- David Hall commented on Cotton concern
- dirtyokra two point o commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I tell about my wife’s affair?
- Ann Lewis commented on FULL FEATURE: Barbadians ‘grudge’ icon