Grass fire closes school
Tue, February 12, 2013 - 12:07 AM
The students of Lawrence T. Gay Memorial Primary School were sent home early yesterday after thick black smoke enveloped the Spooner’s Hill, St Michael school and surrounding areas.
The smoke came from a nearby grass fire.
School principal Beverley Parris told the DAILY NATION that after 12 p.m., when lunch was taking place, the smoke blanketed the school. She said “it was extremely thick and very low as well”.
Parris commended teachers and non-teaching staff for their swift action in getting the students, particularly those who were vulnerable, away from the smoke and for urgently contacting parents. (AH)Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Mia Colucci commented on Broomes hurt by turning of table
- Robert Goode commented on Ganja found in container at Port
- Bim Bum commented on Families fearful of losing homes
- Bim Bum commented on Doctors working overtime on virus
- Bim Bum commented on Family sent packing after 60 years