Grass fire closes school
Tue, February 12, 2013 - 12:07 AM
The students of Lawrence T. Gay Memorial Primary School were sent home early yesterday after thick black smoke enveloped the Spooner’s Hill, St Michael school and surrounding areas.
The smoke came from a nearby grass fire.
School principal Beverley Parris told the DAILY NATION that after 12 p.m., when lunch was taking place, the smoke blanketed the school. She said “it was extremely thick and very low as well”.
Parris commended teachers and non-teaching staff for their swift action in getting the students, particularly those who were vulnerable, away from the smoke and for urgently contacting parents. (AH)Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- En Dee commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Wayne Webster commented on Inniss: Poultry tax may go up
- Wayne Webster commented on Crop theft suggestions with Cabinet
- Sodi S commented on Call for curbs on imports
- Orson Arthur commented on DEAR JOHN: Curfew cramping my life