Gweneven sails inThe Gweneven sailed into Barbados this afternoon. (Kenmore Bynoe)
Wed, December 26, 2012 - 4:16 PM
It was a day past Christmas and not three but one ship came sailing into the Careenage at the end of its long journey across the Atlantic in the Panerai race.
Just after 1:20 p.m. the seventh placed Gweneven and its relieved four member French crew sailed into the Inner Basin to a rousing reception from the members of the previous six winners as well as friends and family waiting to welcome the brave sailors.
With little English at their disposal, captain Oren Nataf’s fiancée, Sarah Drevillon translated that the four were happy to reach Barbados after 23 days on the open sea.
They were hoping to reach Barbados on Christmas day but 250 miles out the spinnaker broke which delayed their arrival. (KB)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Tony Webster commented on Stop complaining, says Inniss
- Mr Psychotic commented on Board probing bus video
- Sherville Harris commented on UPDATED: Barrack removes locks
- Leonard B commented on BEHIND THE HEADLINES: Canada still banking on the Caribbean
- D. Stoute commented on ‘Money in seaweed’