Hail the kaiso ‘doctor’(Picture by Sandy Pitt.)
Sun, October 21, 2012 - 12:05 AM
It isn’t often the Mighty Gabby is left speechless.
Barbados’ nine-time calypso king blushed with pride yesterday when he was conferred a Doctor of Letters honorary degree from the University of the West Indies’ (UWI) Cave Hill Campus for his 40 years plus of dedication to the musical art form in Barbados.
A smiling Gabby bowed to all those on hand at The Gymnasium of the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, seconds after being handed his degree by UWI Chancellor Sir George Alleyne.
More than 300 students and hundreds of patrons on hand gave the entertainment supremo a standing ovation.
Here, a smiling Gabby acknowledging the applause after receiving his degree scroll from Sir George. (BA)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Lloyd Gulston commented on Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Leif jensen commented on Tough lessons
- Harold Harris commented on Low spirits
- Lloyd Gulston commented on Festival needs ‘helping hand’
- Sodi S commented on 13 million snails put down