Hail the kaiso ‘doctor’(Picture by Sandy Pitt.)
Sun, October 21, 2012 - 12:05 AM
It isn’t often the Mighty Gabby is left speechless.
Barbados’ nine-time calypso king blushed with pride yesterday when he was conferred a Doctor of Letters honorary degree from the University of the West Indies’ (UWI) Cave Hill Campus for his 40 years plus of dedication to the musical art form in Barbados.
A smiling Gabby bowed to all those on hand at The Gymnasium of the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, seconds after being handed his degree by UWI Chancellor Sir George Alleyne.
More than 300 students and hundreds of patrons on hand gave the entertainment supremo a standing ovation.
Here, a smiling Gabby acknowledging the applause after receiving his degree scroll from Sir George. (BA)
- Editor's Choice
- Your Lamen commented on $60M loss
- Tanya Respect Forde commented on Rihanna, wins R&B artist, album
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: LIME’s $100m investment great news
- Judy Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I bail out because of disease?
- Frank Husbands commented on Credit unions must pull investments