Hail the kaiso ‘doctor’(Picture by Sandy Pitt.)
Sun, October 21, 2012 - 12:05 AM
It isn’t often the Mighty Gabby is left speechless.
Barbados’ nine-time calypso king blushed with pride yesterday when he was conferred a Doctor of Letters honorary degree from the University of the West Indies’ (UWI) Cave Hill Campus for his 40 years plus of dedication to the musical art form in Barbados.
A smiling Gabby bowed to all those on hand at The Gymnasium of the Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, seconds after being handed his degree by UWI Chancellor Sir George Alleyne.
More than 300 students and hundreds of patrons on hand gave the entertainment supremo a standing ovation.
Here, a smiling Gabby acknowledging the applause after receiving his degree scroll from Sir George. (BA)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Include farmers in Govt’s plans for industry
- Pan Wallie commented on Home cry
- Wayne Webster commented on Taxing lines at centres
- Dale Connell commented on THE 'NETTE EFFECT: Day my childhood came crashing down
- Glyne Griffith commented on Sealy: Focus on women