Husbands grabs stakes victoryPatrick Husbands. (FP)
Wed, April 25, 2012 - 12:03 AM
TORONTO – Barbadian jockey Patrick Husbands produced a characteristic late burst aboard Roxy Gap to win the CAN$150 000 (BDS$303 570), Grade 3 Whimsical Stakes at Woodbine Sunday.
Husbands tracked the leader Honey Chile throughout the six-furlong trip before bidding in the last two furlongs and getting up at the wire by a neck in a time of one minute, 9:15 seconds.
Roxy Gap, a winner in the Fury Stakes last year, was making her second start following a protracted layoff. She is owned by Barbados-based Canadian businessman Eugene Melnyk and collected $120 000 for her efforts.
Melnyk said he hoped this was the start of good things for the four-year-old bay filly.
Husbands got the filly away smartly but kept her in hand in third as Honey Chile hauled the field through the half-mile in 45.11 seconds.
The veteran reinsman took the filly through the turn strongly and once in the stretch, began to wear down the leaders and caught Honey Chile deep in the stretch. (CMC)
- Editor's Choice
- Your Lamen commented on $60M loss
- Tanya Respect Forde commented on Rihanna, wins R&B artist, album
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: LIME’s $100m investment great news
- Judy Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I bail out because of disease?
- Frank Husbands commented on Credit unions must pull investments