Ifill:Problems in PE departmentSophia Ifill (Lennox Devonish)
Mon, July 23, 2012 - 6:04 PM
WHEN PRINCIPAL Jeff Broomes took over the running of the Physical Education Deapartment at Alexandra School several problems started to develop.
P.E teacher, Sophia Ifill, a former student at the school, who worked in the physical education department for 20 years, said the relationship among the teachers broke down when Broomes unilaterally took over.
“In the past we got along and things worked smoothly but at one point the principal informed us that he was now head of the department and that we would now be required to meet with him for departmental meetings”.
Ifill said for several years the P.E department fell under the General Studies department and that was what obtained at secondary schools.
She said as far as she knew it was never a department by itself neither did the principal ever oversee a single department.
But she stated that part time teacher, Roger Broomes, who is the principal’s cousin as well as other temporary P.E teachers were hired without any discussion, consultation or interviews by the senior teachers attached to the department.
Her comments came during today's sitting of the Commission of Inquiry.
Full reports from the Commission of Inquiry in tomorrow's DAILY NATION
- Editor's Choice
- Carl Harper commented on WHAT MATTERS MOST: Behaviour is shaped by the majority
- Dale Harris commented on Two off to play in England
- Jack Husbands commented on Not afraid to flog!
- Jalisa Skeete commented on Barbados' supercentenarian Sisnett is dead
- Frank Husbands commented on Guyanese charged for entering Barbados illegally