In the redMia Mottley. (FP)
By Ezra Stuart | Fri, December 07, 2012 - 12:13 AM
This year’s LIME Pelican Football Challenge was a financial loss for the organizers.
This disclosure has come from Mia Mottley, who heads Pelican Ventures Inc., the entity behind the just ended September 9 to November 30 tournament, which featured 12 franchises split into two groups.
In an interview with WEEKENDSPORT, the long-serving parliamentarian pointed to the below par attendance this year of under 2 500 paying fans nightly for the majority of group matches, which were all held at Kensington Oval.
While pleased with the crowd for the semi-finals and last Friday’s final between Akademiks and Phoenix UFO Toyota Fire House on Independence Day, Mottley said the increase in numbers only marginally compensated for the high overall cost of staging Barbados’ richest sporting tournament.Please read the full story in today’s WEEKEND NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Mia Colucci commented on Broomes hurt by turning of table
- Robert Goode commented on Ganja found in container at Port
- Bim Bum commented on Families fearful of losing homes
- Bim Bum commented on Doctors working overtime on virus
- Bim Bum commented on Family sent packing after 60 years