Jamaica on storm watch
Mon, October 22, 2012 - 11:48 AM
A Tropical Storm Watch is now in effect for Jamaica as the area of low-pressure over the southern Caribbean has developed into a Tropical Depression and is expected to further strengthen while heading northward towards the island.
At 10 this morning, the Met Service said the centre of Tropical Depression Number 18 was located near Latitude 13.5 degrees North, longitude 78.0 degrees West.
This is about 515 kilometres (320 miles) south-southwest of Kingston, Jamaica or 320 kilometres (235 miles) south of the Pedro Cays.
The system could become a Tropical Storm later today or tonight and be near hurricane strength near Jamaica on Wednesday.
Over the next couple of days, showers and thunderstorms are expected to increase over Jamaica, accompanied by gusty winds, eventually becoming sustained at tropical storm strength late Tuesday. (Jamaica Gleaner)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past