Landslide victory in Tobago
Tue, January 22, 2013 - 1:28 PM
SCARBOROUGH, Tobago – The main opposition People’s National Movement (PNM) has won a landslide victory in the Tobago House of Assembly (THA), with preliminary results showing that the party has won all 12 seats.
Prime Minister Kamla Persad Bissessar, who along with senior members of her coalition People’s Partnership government, had campaigned heavily in support of the Tobago Organisation of the People, (TOP), one of the four partners of the coalition, conceded defeat.
“The people have spoken. This has been a tough political battle and the choice for Tobago between change and a perpetuation of an administration which has been in place for twelve years.
“Tobagonians, in an overwhelming majority chose to stay with the Orville London led THA. And as I have always said, the voice of the people, is the voice of God,” she said in a statement.
Chief Secretary Oville London said he felt humbled by the victory “because of the tremendous trust the people of Tobago have placed in me and my team”.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Mr Psychotic commented on Foreplay giant, but still too small
- Larsen Parris commented on Fees ‘best option’
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Free education’s potential gains now in jeopardy
- Jan Shak commented on Fatal slip
- Wayne Webster commented on His money is ‘in the sea’