Layoffs may come soonGeneral secretary of the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW), Denis Clarke. (FP)
Fri, May 24, 2013 - 12:09 AM
A PUBLIC SECTOR union executive has said he would not be surprised if Government had to start laying off workers.
Speaking to Starcom Network a day after Minister of Industry Donville Inniss spoke of the need to cut costs in the public service, general secretary of the National Union of Public Workers (NUPW), Denis Clarke, admitted that the Government departments might be overstaffed.
He said that the number had risen from about 21 000 to in excess of 30 000 since the early 1990s.
He attributed the increased numbers in the public sector to the fact that the private sector was not creating enough jobs and there would be social chaos if Government did not step in. (YB)
Please read the full story in today’s WEEKEND NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- arlene Browne commented on LOOKA LEW: $3000 in feathers and beads
- elliot gibbs commented on Canadians on bail
- Tony Waterman commented on Sad farewell for Charmer
- Tony Waterman commented on Amputations ‘a case’ for reparation
- Snow Cone commented on Short in Barbados to work, not party