Payne sues fellow MPGeorge Payne. (FP)
Sun, May 05, 2013 - 12:07 AM
New member of parliament Edmund Hinkson has pledged to defend a lawsuit said to have been brought against him by Barbados Labour Party (BLP) colleague George Payne.
The issue apparently arose out of a dispute following the February 21 general election which the BLP lost to the Democratic Labour Party in a razor-thin 16 to 14 result.
Payne is reported to be seeking damages for “defamation” as a result of certain alleged statements made by Hinkson during a meeting at BLP headquarters on February 25 when MPs met to select the Leader of the Opposition in Parliament. All elected parliamentarians with the exception of Owen Arthur were present.
The claim, filed in the Supreme Court on Payne’s behalf, is not only seeking damages but also to restrain Hinkson or his servants or agents from repeating the allegedly defamatory words. (ES)Please read the full story in today’s SUNDAY SUN, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past