Phelps wins record Olympic medalUnited States' Michael Phelps poses with his gold medal for the men's 4x200-meter freestyle relay swimming final.
Tue, July 31, 2012 - 5:00 PM
Michael Phelps won a record 19th Olympic medal as he helped the US team to gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay.
It was also a 15th gold medal for Phelps, 27, who swam the anchor leg as the Americans won in a time of six minutes 59.70 seconds, with France in second and China third.
Ryan Lochte put the US team in total control with a blistering first leg and they barely lost their advantage.
Phelps overtakes Russian gymnast Larisa Latynina who won 18 medals.
Phelps still has three more races at London 2012 before he retires and could establish a record that would be difficult for anyone to beat.
"It has been a pretty amazing career," he said. "But we still have a couple races to go." (BBC)
- Editor's Choice
- Godfrey Bynoe commented on Not afraid to flog!
- Dionne Lashley commented on WHAT MATTERS MOST: Behaviour is shaped by the majority
- Orson Arthur commented on Guyanese charged for entering Barbados illegally
- Orson Arthur commented on House of horror
- Orson Arthur commented on Belle clear