Mon, November 26, 2012 - 12:12 AM
Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan says the Caribbean has the potential to be a powerhouse, with Barbados as its “natural leader”.
But he says this country needs to move away from simply being a service economy to fulfil its true potential.
Farrakhan, who arrived here yesterday afternoon for the second leg of a six-nation Caribbean tour, told members of the media and the local Islamic community that with a high income per capita, the most learned workforce and one of the finest institutions of learning in the region, Barbados must assume its role to lead the region to greater things.
“The Caribbean cannot survive as little nations with flags and anthems and suffering people when the unity of the whole of the Caribbean would make the Caribbean a regional power; and Barbados, in my humble judgement, is a natural leader in that process and that is a part of my message,” he told an airport news conference. (DP)Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- 3 charged
- Does Ebola travel ban make sense?
- Sports unity call
- Fight against the mosquito
- Most Recent Comments
- Orson Arthur commented on Governor expects growth next year
- Adam Shaw commented on Upgrade upsets taximen
- Orson Arthur commented on $174.6m still left
- Wayne Webster commented on WICB: Let’s talk
- daneale o'neale commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I tell lover about old affair?