Professor’s plea to CubaRaul Garcia. (FP)
By Tony Best | Wed, November 07, 2012 - 12:08 AM
As Cuba prepares to welcome back tens of thousands of its citizens who left the country illegally decades ago, an international relations scholar in Canada has suggested Havana should take Raul Garcia off Barbados’ hands.
Professor Andy Knight, who is due to become director of the Institute of International Relations of the University of the West Indies in January, told the MIDWEEK NATION that Barbados should not be spending taxpayers’ money to provide housing and security for a convicted drug trafficker whose activities probably harmed Barbados.
“Cuba should take him back,” said Knight, a Barbadian who is the chairman of the Department of Political Science at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.
“Barbados should try to work out a deal with Cuba. It is hard to think that Cuba would wash its hands of Garcia."Please read the full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Sherville Harris commented on Raunchy beach party
- Robert Goode commented on Akela’s golden legacy
- Robert Goode commented on No money to get victim’s body home
- Ann Lewis commented on I CONFESS: Cheating ways made me a lonely man
- Don Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past