Protest over Royal visit

Protest over Royal visit Hamilton Lashley (FP)

By Dawne Parris | Fri, February 24, 2012 - 12:10 AM

BARBADOS ROLLED OUT THE RED CARPET for the Earl and Countess of Wessex yesterday, but not without protest.

Government MP Hamilton Lashley boycotted events organized for the Royal couple’s state visit, the first being the Joint Sitting of Parliament, to take a stand against Britain over its controversial Air Passenger Duty (APD) and its threat to suspend aid to countries that ban homosexuality.

Lashley told the WEEKEND NATION in a telephone interview shortly after the end of the sitting that his absence was intended “to let the British Government know that as a Member of Parliament of Barbados I am very angry at the position that they’re taking against us and other small island states, as well as other African countries”.

“Some Barbadians, particularly those in my age group that grew up like me, stupid under the Union Jack, are not going to like my actions and they’re probably going to condemn me but I have to live with myself and who I am as a Black person. Rather than just sitting down and being a recipient of the threats and the impositions by the British Prime Minister, I’ve decided that Hamilton Lashley is going to take a stand,” he said.

Read the full story in today's WEEKEND NATION.

Posted by Cole Turton 2 years, 6 months ago
Good on you Mr. Lashley. I wish they were more like you in Barbados. Stand up for what you believe in. Well done.

Posted by Tony Webster 2 years, 6 months ago
OK Hammy-La…that's your privilege. However, according to my feeble recall, there is a small but crucial difference, between the British Monarchy, and the U.K. Government. Like a chasm. The monarchy, (read, Her Majesty the Queen; her family) take no direct part in the affairs of state. That's part of the deal since Oliver Cromwell. Meanwhile, most Bajans observed Good Manners, and bade our visitors welcome. You might also consider enhancing our chances of winning us more visitors, including Brits, by tidying up the crime scene in your neck-of-the-woods.

Posted by Claude Nichai 2 years, 6 months ago
I admire the position of Mr. Hamilton Lashley. The UK has in recent years taken certain policy decisions that has been detrimental to the economic stability of the region (including my country St. Lucia) and to sit idle while a country already facing down grading by the S&P spents US$400 000 to pruce up the country is ridiculous.

Posted by Anthony Richards 2 years, 6 months ago
Monarchy is just one big gang! Samuel 1: Israel elders said monarchy was for pagan cuontries, if you get a king he will oppress your children fro generations. Republic now! Federalise the Caricom state like the USA. I willl not bow, I am a citizen not a subject. God owns everything not the Queen nor anyone can own me. Let the queen with her 20billion US dollars pay the salary of the governor general ! This is the Americas not Europe!

Posted by Angela Payne 2 years, 5 months ago
As a person from Bajan parentage but born in the UK, it always appears to me that Britain wishes to force the laws here onto other countries, like it is an extension of themselves. Barbados is not Britain and whilst they always talk about Freedom of Speech, once you do, you are frowned upon. People are entitled to their own opinions, which seems to be something Britain do not recognise most of the time. Yes, it is nice for them to visit Barbados but why spend so much money of them. They want to pigeon whole Barbados and other countries who do not 'tow' the line but still want visit and holiday there. I wish more people in Barbados spoke up like Mr Hamilton Lashley and voiced their opinion. Barbados is not Britain and is not Europe. Barbados have their own economical problems which they are not helping with. Britain and their policies seem to part of the problem for many countries and not part of the solution.

Posted by harry callahan 2 years, 5 months ago
These are the direct decedents of the people that enslaved us all white and black.brutalized our fore fathers and murdered the original Arawak Indians that were before us all. welcome to them?.this is a travesty.

Posted by Mary Yearwood 2 years, 5 months ago
How brave...it's good when someone sticks to their moral belief and takes a stand, instead of being led like a sheep, while disregarding the consequences. I admire Mr. Lashley for this.

Posted by Tony Waterman 2 years, 5 months ago
Hamilton Lashley !!!Ha Ha Ha he should stick to turning out Sports persons from the PINE,and keep out of real POLITICS, maybe he can continue to do the HAMMY.Learn your HISTORY Before making statements.The Caribs Captured The Arawaks, (1200) and then the SPANISH are the ones who arrived (1492) and decimated the Caribs. The English arrived much later (1625) so how could they have murdered anyone when there was no one when they came? How about the Black tribes in AFRICA who sold Their BLACK Brothers to the WHITE MAN for TRINKETS-YOU and HAMMY and all like him are JUST acting irresponsible with you life lines, be CAREFUL.Independent or not we all must still DEPEND on SOMEONE. especially when you have a ONE HORSE ECONOMY

Was Government right to postpone the arrival of Nigerian students in an effort to safeguard the country from Ebola?

This poll is yet to begin. Voting opens on 1408975683.

• August 22, 2014 Cartoon - 2014 08 22