Tennis battle heats up
Wed, November 07, 2012 - 12:03 AM
St Philip will be counting on the form of Alexander ‘The Great’ Clarke and Ryan Hall after the pair qualified to represent the parish in the National Sports Council’s Inter-Parish Road Tennis Competition.
The third edition of the tournament was launched on Sunday at Olive Drive, The Crane, St Philip, as the best of the east competed to take the two spots available.
Players like the stylish Michael Belgrave and McDonald Sargeant battled strongly to qualify. In the end, it was the decider between Clarke and Hall which settled the affair with Clarke sowing his opponent in the first set before losing the second and then pulling off the victory, 21-8, 18-21, 21-12.
They will now compete in the B category of the competition which will climax in December at Dover.
Jarad Hepburn of St Leonard’s Boys’ qualified for the one St Philip schoolboy slot by taking out Kyle Elder, 21-10, 21-11.
The qualifying caravan will move to Vauxhall, Christ Church, on Saturday and St Elizabeth, St Joseph and Gall Hill, St John, on Sunday. (KB)
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Tony Webster commented on Barrack negotiations continuing
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Easing the burden of families hit by disaster
- Snow Cone commented on CBS ends deal with Rihanna
- daneale o'neale commented on ‘Insult to union’
- Tony Webster commented on We must travel!