Things Bajan: Culpepper Island
Mon, November 05, 2012 - 11:12 AM
For November, we will focus on things Barbados as this country celebrates its independence. Every day we will be highlighting Barbadian sayings, artefacts unique to the country, as well as personalities, icons, some places and things that reflect Barbados.
Culpepper Island is the focus of Things Bajan today.
It’s a tiny island just off St Philip between Skeete’s Bay and Ragged Point. It has been described as Barbados’ only dependency since Pelican Island, which was lost in the course of the deep water harbor reclamation.
It is no more than 25 by 35 yards and 20 feet high. Its name derives from a 17th Century family of Culpeppers owning an estate “on the mainland” nearby.
Source: A-Z of Barbadian Heritage
- Editor's Choice
- 3 charged
- Does Ebola travel ban make sense?
- Sports unity call
- Fight against the mosquito
- Most Recent Comments
- Orson Arthur commented on Governor expects growth next year
- Adam Shaw commented on Upgrade upsets taximen
- Orson Arthur commented on $174.6m still left
- Wayne Webster commented on WICB: Let’s talk
- daneale o'neale commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I tell lover about old affair?