Baby’s dad still in hospital

Fri, December 07, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Dave Searles remained hospitalised yesterday but in stable condition.

The father of three collapsed on Wednesday after discovering his five-month-old baby boy dead after he forgot the child in the back seat of his car.

The baby, Ethan Searles, died from what police suspect was suffocation. He was still strapped in his baby seat.

Yesterday police said that Searles was being monitored at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for extremely high blood pressure and was also receiving counselling. His wife Regina was discharged.

Police explained that the father forgot the baby in the back of the car after he changed his usual routine while dropping his children to school.

“He usually takes the baby to the nursery first but on Wednesday he changed that routine and dropped off the other children to their schools. He forgot that the baby was still in the car,” an officer said calling it an “honest mistake”.

Searles was described by family members as a caring and dedicated father who was deeply involved in the lives of all of his children. (MB)

Posted by Pan Wallie 1 year, 9 months ago
It is all very sad, Dave, but your wife and other children will need you now more than ever. Remember, God is the greatest physician, place all your cares in his hand.

Posted by RANDY BRIDGEMAN 1 year, 9 months ago
We all make mistakes, though not often with a tragic outcome as in this case. I'm sure nobody feels as badly as the young man does over the loss of his child. Rather than condemnation, let's offer our prayers and support as he will need much of both in the ensuing period in order to overcome feelings of guilt as well as to get back to some semblance of normalcy in his life.

Seems to be a caring family man and that's a good thing especially in these days of high absenteeism of fathers. Take your sorrows to Jesus, the One who knows all about our pain and sorrows, Mr. Searles. He is our ultimate source of comfort and support in times like these. Nobody does it better!

Posted by Sherville Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
Yes he is a caring and dedicated father who was deeply involved in the lives of all of his children. He is always there to support his daughter and Springer school in athletics and he love his children. He made an honest mistake for which he should be forgiven. Get well Dave. I can safely say the Springer school fraternity will remember you in their prayers.
Hang in there
Harris

Posted by Kathryn Daniel 1 year, 9 months ago
So tragic! My heart bleeds for this man and his family. I think every parent has nightmares about this kind of thing. I am praying for them all.

Posted by nyln edwards 1 year, 9 months ago
Mr Searles this is one time I wish that the hands of time can be turned back. I always say that everything happens for a reason however this is one time I can see no reason for this tragic mistake.
I pray that you overcome this as you still have two children that needs you. No amount of words can say how sorry I am for your family.
Please Barbados I know we are all curious but this is one time they should be granted some privacy as this is not a normal case.
May that baby rest in peace.
To the entire family this is the time to bond together and not point fingers stay strong together and you will all make..

Posted by Frank Husbands 1 year, 9 months ago
It seems that this dude is getting so much public sympathy. That officer is totally out of order to comment on this investigation the way he has.This father deserves about ten years in Jail.I have never heard so much rubbish in my life; except in America.

Posted by RANDY BRIDGEMAN 1 year, 9 months ago

Seems to be a caring family man and that's commendable especially in these days of high absenteeism of fathers. Take your sorrows to Jesus, the One who knows all about our pain and sorrows, Mr. Searles. He is our ultimate source of comfort and support in times like these. Nobody does it better!

Posted by Janet Mayers 1 year, 9 months ago
It is impossible for me to measure the Searles' level of grief and have reassuring words for them at this time.
Therefore I pray that God will be with them and comfort them during this period of darkness.

We must remember that no one is perfect.

Posted by Col Cam 1 year, 9 months ago
Dearest God, I pray right now that you will comfort Dave and his family. You alone understands the pain and grief at this time. Reach out your hands and touch him I pray. Help this family to heal. Comfort the children. In your name I pray, Amen.

Posted by Col Cam 1 year, 9 months ago
Mr.Frank Husbands, give God thanks that you have never made a mistake and have been perfect all your life. But I say this to you. God is God and God alone. He understands and that is why I love him. I pray that He will comfort the Searles family at this time,and that he will put a bit on your insensitive tongue since you do not know when and where. Continue to be perfect and be your brothers keeper.

Posted by Harold Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
My prayers and condolences go out to everyone in the family, especially under such sad circumstances. The changing of one's routine can definitely cause such terrible consequences!

Posted by Bim Bum 1 year, 9 months ago
Getting past all the emotional hoo-ha...

What do we do so this nonsense
DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN??

Posted by Anita Skeete 1 year, 9 months ago
@ Frank Husbands - it could happen to anyone, even you. We are all human and we err at times. Have some heart Mr. Perfect!

Posted by Sherville Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
Pleasant Morning

Mr. Husbands (If I can call u Mr.) you talking real CRAP. How many years did you spend in the Police Force? How can you say, “That officer is totally out of order to comment on this investigation the way he has”. The Force has a media policy can you tell me in what way he breached it. We know that you are PERFECT, You may feel you is a Jesus #2 but let me tell you something, we may be rewarded for 1st 2nd and 3rd place on earth but with God there is no place for a 2nd or 3rd Jesus therefore that rules you out totally. How many times you visited the Supermarket and place a bag in the back of your car (if you has one), enter your house (if u achieve such) leaving it in the car? How many times you was going somewhere and find yourself on the road you usually takes to work and as a result you continue along that road and forget to make a turn. How many times you forget something home and had to return for it? Guest nothing of the sort ever happen to MR. PERFECT. By the way you may be a father but he is a DAD and note I said DAD just like I am. We look out for our children is all ways possible.
Hope you have a PERFECT day

Posted by Sherville Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
The Force has a media policy can you tell me in what way he breached it. Please replace the word "he" with "the officer"

Posted by Sherville Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
Hi Dave

On behalf of my family and I, I would like to take this opportunity to offer our condolences to you and your family on the passing of your beloved son.

Sorrows are like ripples on the water,
They come and they go,
But memories remain forever.
May you find peace and love
In the memories of good times spent together.

Our many Prayers and good thoughts to your whole family. Hold on tightly to each other always!
May the Lord blessed you,
As you remember his most generous heart!
Dave We love you very much, Hang in there!

Posted by Rens D 1 year, 9 months ago
@FH- You are ridiculous! I will assume that you have no children. You are quick to judge. We alllll make mistakes. Unless Jesus came to earth in the form of you, you are one of the ALLL that err!!
@Bim Bum - Another senseless comment. There is nothing that we can do so it wont happen again. It was a mistake that happened to be tragic. Mr. Searles has ENOUGH on his plate as a father.

To Mr Searles....God will comfort!

Posted by nyln edwards 1 year, 9 months ago
To whom it may concern - This parent made a tragic mistake and NO he does not deserve ten years in prison!!! His burden will be with him for LIFE!
Did the other parent get ten years in prison? No he got suicide watch, community service and a trip to Miami.
I am not one to pull the race and creed card but I am following this case to see how justice is going to prevail.
To all the people who have never made mistakes I admire you, as mistakes are a method to learn. I guess you people still have a lot to learn.
Barbados appears to have come together and decided that this was not an intentional act, yet 'us' who do not have the full story have decided the fate of this poor man.....
INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY- I think his peers will try to remember that!

Posted by Snow Cone 1 year, 9 months ago
This man better don't have anymore children because his actions has shown that he is not responsible.

Posted by Sherville Harris 1 year, 9 months ago
@ NYLN EDWARDS: What nice comments. You asked,"Did the other parent get ten years in prison? No he got suicide watch, community service and a trip to Miami". Dont forget what the song says "Cause yuh Big up, every time".

Do you agree with Acting Assistant Commissioner of Police Erwin Boyce that convicts should be made to pay for their stay at HMP Dodds?

• October 1, 2014 - 2014 10 01