Congrats, Gabby!Anthony Gabby Carter (FP)
Tue, October 23, 2012 - 12:08 AM
THE ENTERTAINMENT fraternity chorused its congratulations yesterday on the heels of calypsonian and folk icon Anthony Gabby Carter being conferred an honorary doctorate by the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus last weekend.
Gabby was presented with his Degree of Letters, honoris causa, by the university’s chancellor Sir George Alleyne.
Yesterday, veteran artiste and promoter Richard Stoute, who attended St Mary’s and St Leonard’s schools with the musical maestro, described him as “highly deserving” of the honour.
“He has given this country blood, sweat and tears and has represented Barbados in nearly every cultural sphere, performing in Cuba, Jamaica, Trinidad and elsewhere, winning the national calypso crown nine times, and writing songs for many. He has also written some of the island’s most beautiful folk songs. (RJ)Please read the full story in today’s DAILY NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- shawn phillips commented on Petition to strip Tridents
- Tony Webster commented on Stop complaining, says Inniss
- Mr Psychotic commented on Board probing bus video
- Sherville Harris commented on UPDATED: Barrack removes locks
- Leonard B commented on BEHIND THE HEADLINES: Canada still banking on the Caribbean