Nation e-Edition

DEAR CHRISTINE: Had enough of sicko I married

DEAR CHRISTINE: Had enough of sicko I married

Wed, September 11, 2013 - 12:00 AM

Dear Christine,

I am 40 years old and a mother of two teenage daughters.

I have been married for 16 years to a man who I think needs psychiatric help. From the time we were married he started telling a lot of lies, accusing me of men that I never knew existed.

When my children were growing up I did not have a job and he was the only one working. It wasn’t for much money but my family made sure the children never lacked.

Then my husband decided to build a house, which with his limited resources was very difficult and so my family pitched in even more.

I then got a little job with my mother who had a little shop. My husband wanted to know every week how much money I earned – even though he knew.

His family was never around except when they came begging for money and food.

Things went from bad to worse in that my husband became very physically and verbally abusive. Once I sought legal help.

He was never around to help with the children. If I had to go anywhere, I would have to lug with the children or my mother would help out.

When we moved into the new house it was not quite finished and was somewhat inconvenient in many ways, but I tried.

In order to save money he did a lot of work on the house himself and I helped a lot. I mixed concrete until my whole body ached. At that time I did not have the little job as the distance from the new house to the place of business was too far. We were nearer his family.

Christine, I’ve had some trying days in taking care of my children. There were times when I would walk my older daughter to school which was some distance away from our home, while carrying the other one on my hip. I did this through sun and rain but he never seemed to care.

When my first daughter became a young lady he started making ugly remarks saying how soon he expected seeing a lot of boys coming around the house. This man never had anything good to say about me or the children. I had a few friends. They looked out for me and my children.

Things did not work out the way he predicted because my daughter is working hard towards a career as a chef.

Now the children are growing up, all of a sudden my husband wants to be their father.

Four months ago, with the help of one of my brothers, I got a good job with a very nice and understanding couple doing domestic work. I now buy the food and he eats it.

Soon after I started to work, I came home one evening and my older daughter was in her room sulking and when I asked why, she told me her father had made advances towards her.

When he came home that night I let loose on him and told him never to lay his hand on any of the children.

He acted as if he did the right thing and blamed me for his not being able to keep an erection. This man is sick. My mind has turned totally from him. He is always finding fault.

Christine, I am prepared to protect my children at all costs. He actually had the gall to tell me that he wanted to have sex with our daughter.

I was going to report the matter to the Child Care Board but didn’t because my daughter felt ashamed. He had told her that if she told me, I would call the police and her name would end up in the newspaper.

I need your advice soon.


Dear Worried Mother,

I hope the time when you can cut all ties with your husband and the father of your children is not far off – most especially now when your daughter is in danger of being sexually abused by him.

Should he persist don’t let his words about the matter being publicized bother her or you.

She’s innocent and what he is saying is only blackmailing her into silence so she won’t expose him.

It’s past time you remain under his roof, even if you helped to build the house. You seem to have relatives who have helped you in the past. Can they now not help you get out of the house you share?

I see absolutely nothing in this relationship for you or your children. Staying there does not bring you any support and happiness and exposes your daughter to abuse.

Get out . . . fast.


  • Editor's Choice

Share your thoughts

Please sign in or register to post your comments.

Page 1 of 1 pages

Posted by BIG SKY 1 year, 1 month ago
I hate men/women who will sleep/interfere with their own children,this is sick and I think the punishment should be death by LETHAL INJECTION/HANGING.

  • 0
Posted by Lloyd Gulstone 1 year, 1 month ago
Lady if your story is true you need to call the police now and reassure your daughter that it is in the best interest of her safety as well as yours. He is completely deranged when he can tell you he wants to have sex with his own flesh and blood. It is time that social services network in conjunction with the police conduct surveys to gauge the level of abuse and anger that is in my little island. All is not right in Barbados and people need to realize that without social capacity building programmes you have a society that is becoming lawless, intolerable, more aggressive and immoral.

  • 0
Posted by Terri Hoyte 1 year, 1 month ago
Totally agree go back to your family and take your children, make a report to the child care board and police so they have him on record.

Do not waste a minute, leave him now you daughter and you deserve better.

  • 2
Posted by dirtyokra two point o 1 year, 1 month ago
Uhhh. Police. Restraining order. ....What are you waiting for?

  • 1
Posted by Orson Arthur 1 year, 1 month ago
That is one sick man. It is time to go with your
children. The children are big now, you all can
work as a team. How could you, think of having
sex with your daughter. That is sick.

  • 1
Posted by Pan Wallie 1 year, 1 month ago
Take those girls and get out NOW. Deal with the legal separation/divorce, possessions and property settlement later. After you leave, advise him that he needs to go for some help because something is not right with him. Men are usually concerned about their daughters' boyfriends, but something is definitely wrong with a man displaying that such jealousy and wanting to hit on his own daughter. Under the legal scheme all children are entitled to representation, so get a good lawyer and seek to protect them. Be aware that with a restraining order, some people always find some 'valid' excuse to circumvent them in a way that is hard to refute legally. Keep your head on, and I wish you the best.

  • 1

Page 1 of 1 pages

Latest Videos

Quick Poll

Do you think Barbadian women wear too much make-up?

View Past Polls

Stay Connected to Your World

Join Your Friends & Our Community

Your Friends' Activity

Daily Cartoons

  • October 22, 2014 Cartoon  - 2014 10 24
  • October 22, 2014 - 2014 10 22
  • Tuesday Oct 21 2014 toon - 2014 10 21