‘DLP boxed into corner’Political scientist Peter Wickham (FP)
Sat, December 22, 2012 - 12:07 AM
THE DEMOCRATIC LABOUR PARTY GOVERNMENT has boxed itself into a corner by not calling general elections much earlier, and this week’s downgrade by rating agency Moody’s will not make life easier for the Freundel Stuart Administration.
This was the response of political scientist Peter Wickham when asked what effect he thought the downgrade by Moody’s of Barbados’ credit rating to Ba1, into junk territory, would have on the elections.
“I don’t think it does anything more than cement in the people’s minds that things are not good,” Wickham said. “I had said a while ago that I thought because of these things that it was unwise for Government to take [the elections] this far down.
“When the last downgrade was held [by Standard & Poor's last July] and [goverment] had called an early general election they could have avoided all of this. (JS)Please read the full story in today’s SATURDAY SUN, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- CARL HUSBANDS commented on Not fit for old woman
- Mac 10 commented on No to backpacks
- Tony Webster commented on Ebola workers slaughtered
- Wayne Webster commented on THE HOYOS FILE: Last gasps of the dying cartel
- Wayne Webster commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Wife points out past lovers