Hot words in HouseMP Steve Blackett. (FP)
Wed, November 21, 2012 - 12:08 AM
Tempers flared yesterday in the House of Assembly and degenerated into a verbal assault on a Government MP, while an Opposition member was barred from continuing his presentation and threatened with further sanction.
The drama unfolded during the post-lunch session of debate on a resolution to grant $614 000 from the Consolidated Fund to support Government’s National Summer Camps Programme.
During the session, carried live on radio, St Michael Central MP Steve Blackett accused the Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) members of behaving as though they did “not like poor people” because of their refusal to support programmes such as the free summer camps and free bus rides for schoolchildren.
However, in his address Christ Church West MP Dr William Duguid charged that the entire Summer Camps Programme was a grand design by the ruling Democratic Labour Party (DLP) to win the next general election. (GE)Please read the full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Orange Peel commented on Raunchy beach party
- daneale o'neale commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Hoping to make friends with other retirees
- daneale o'neale commented on NCC talks today
- James Lynch commented on Export lift
- D. Stoute commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Eager to marry but scared of his past