Lionfish found hereA lionfish. (Internet picture)
Wed, December 14, 2011 - 12:05 AM
AFTER years of speculation, the dangerous and invasive lionfish has finally been caught in Barbados.
The MIDWEEK NATION was recently informed that three weeks ago a spear diver caught the pretty but predatory fish on the West Coast, just off Porters, St James.
The fish was placed on ice and handed over to officials at the Coastal Zone Management Unit (CZMU) before being taken to the Fisheries Division.
Fisherman Chelston Thomas expressed concern that up to this day the public had not been alerted about the catch, even though the Fisheries Division had promised “to inform the public when the fish had reached our waters and the steps to take to control them”, he said. (MB)
Full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Mr Psychotic commented on Foreplay giant, but still too small
- Larsen Parris commented on Fees ‘best option’
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Free education’s potential gains now in jeopardy
- Jan Shak commented on Fatal slip
- Wayne Webster commented on His money is ‘in the sea’