Lionfish found hereA lionfish. (Internet picture)
Wed, December 14, 2011 - 12:05 AM
AFTER years of speculation, the dangerous and invasive lionfish has finally been caught in Barbados.
The MIDWEEK NATION was recently informed that three weeks ago a spear diver caught the pretty but predatory fish on the West Coast, just off Porters, St James.
The fish was placed on ice and handed over to officials at the Coastal Zone Management Unit (CZMU) before being taken to the Fisheries Division.
Fisherman Chelston Thomas expressed concern that up to this day the public had not been alerted about the catch, even though the Fisheries Division had promised “to inform the public when the fish had reached our waters and the steps to take to control them”, he said. (MB)
Full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Dale M commented on Fines fuss
- Tony Webster commented on MONDAY MAN: On guard, by God’s grace
- Wayne Webster commented on Time to step up
- Pan Wallie commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: I love outside man, despite the blows
- Pan Wallie commented on Fire officers to get a hand