Lionfish found hereA lionfish. (Internet picture)
Wed, December 14, 2011 - 12:05 AM
AFTER years of speculation, the dangerous and invasive lionfish has finally been caught in Barbados.
The MIDWEEK NATION was recently informed that three weeks ago a spear diver caught the pretty but predatory fish on the West Coast, just off Porters, St James.
The fish was placed on ice and handed over to officials at the Coastal Zone Management Unit (CZMU) before being taken to the Fisheries Division.
Fisherman Chelston Thomas expressed concern that up to this day the public had not been alerted about the catch, even though the Fisheries Division had promised “to inform the public when the fish had reached our waters and the steps to take to control them”, he said. (MB)
Full story in today’s MIDWEEK NATION.
- Editor's Choice
- Most Recent Comments
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: Include farmers in Govt’s plans for industry
- Pan Wallie commented on Home cry
- Wayne Webster commented on Taxing lines at centres
- Dale Connell commented on THE 'NETTE EFFECT: Day my childhood came crashing down
- Glyne Griffith commented on Sealy: Focus on women