Sir Hilary: Fee on the cardsProfessor Sir Hilary Beckles, principal of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies. (FP)
By John Sealy | Sat, July 14, 2012 - 12:09 AM
IF GOVERNMENT accepts the findings of a report, all tertiary students may have to pay a five per cent amenities fee towards the social development of their institutions.
“We believe that we should look at an amenities fee for all our tertiary institutions and fix it at about five per cent of the cost of the degree . . . that will allow the principals to receive some revenues to modernize the plant and to develop the facility for the students,” said Professor Sir Hilary Beckles, principal of the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies.
At a Press briefing yesterday, Sir Hilary handed over the report – Tertiary Education Reform in Barbados – to Minister of Education Ronald Jones at the ministry’s headquarters, Elsie Payne Complex, Constitution Road, St Michael.
Sir Hilary, chairman of the steering committee, said one of the recommendations called for the state to step back from the 100 per cent model of paying for education to 85 per cent. This would mean that other participants, such as the private sector and students, would have to share the other 15 per cent.Please read the full story in today’s SATURDAY SUN, or in the eNATION edition.
- Editor's Choice
- Your Lamen commented on $60M loss
- Tanya Respect Forde commented on Rihanna, wins R&B artist, album
- Tony Webster commented on EDITORIAL: LIME’s $100m investment great news
- Judy Clarke commented on DEAR CHRISTINE: Should I bail out because of disease?
- Frank Husbands commented on Credit unions must pull investments