Arrow’s passing rocks music world

Arrow’s passing rocks music world SOCA ARTIST Alphonsus "Arrow" Cassell

By YVETTE BEST | Wed, September 15, 2010 - 9:02 AM

Click here to see Arrow sing Hot Hot Hot

UPDATE – THE MUSIC WORLD was rocked by news of volcanic proportions from Montserrat this morning.

Alphonsus The Mighty Arrow Cassel, 60, of Hot Hot Hot fame died at his home following a year-long battle with cerebral cancer. The calypso world was immediately plunged into mourning as word of his passing shot across the region.

There was a large outpouring of condolences and reactions as people involved in the cultural industries and friends remembered the icon.

Denis Cadogan got his feet wet in the promotion business with a show featuring Arrow, Sparrow and Machel Montano at the Pepperpot in 1981. He and Arrow maintained a close friendship and spoke every week.

Cadogan told the DAILY NATION he, John Reid and Chris Grosvenor visited Arrow in Montserrat about three weeks ago.

“Although you were expecting it, and you knew it was coming, yuh still didn’t want it to come, yuh know . . . When I saw him, ’cause I knew him very well, I didn’t know it was him. I had to sit in a chair and water start to settle in my eyes. Although you knew he wasn’t doing well, I didn’t expect him to be looking like that,” Cadogan recalled, adding that Arrow did a “very good job for calypso music and the Caribbean as a whole”.

As Arrow’s friend, Cadagon liaised with promoters and ensured that the record shops were supplied with his music. He also toured with Arrow to Morocco, where the singer performed for and was the guest of King Hussein.

Trumpeter Ricky Brathwaite, who toured with Arrow for about five years, and was also on that trip, said he was saddened by the news.

“That was one of my most memorable moments, playing with Arrow. I knew that it was close, so it’s a shock to me . . . . But I’m sad to hear because I’m getting ready to come back out, and maybe Arrow is one of the artistes I would have toured with again. I played on most of his big hits, including Hot Hot Hot. So it is sad,” Brathwaite said on a programme hosted by Denis Johnson of Starcom Network.

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >

Posted by kathy rollock 4 years ago
May you rest in peace.

Posted by Shirley (NY) 4 years ago
May God give you eternal rest

Posted by Fred Nicholas 4 years ago
My deepest sympathy to Arrow and his family, may his soul rest in peace.

Posted by Xavier R. 4 years ago
He actually died at his home in Montserrat...he was airlifted back home on Monday afternoon.

Posted by Kelsy 4 years ago
He died in Montserrat and not Antigua. He returned home yesterday morning.

Posted by Dizzyb 4 years ago
Arrow died in Montserrat, not Antigua. Hot, Hot, Hot was a 1983 hit, not 1972.

Posted by DAVID GIDEON 4 years ago
Rest in peace u will be missed

Posted by Venola DaBreo 4 years ago
May God give you eternal rest .

Posted by Bertha Joseph 4 years ago
I understand that Arrow died this morning at his home with his family at his side. God has called his beloved Son home as his services are required in heaven.

I am sure that Arrow will be remembered as the Soca Master of the World and Hot Hot Hot will forever be the International Anthem of Soca.

My most sincere condolences to his family. He was my friend and he will be sorely missed by millions. May he rest in peace. I am sure that he may be singing Hot Hot Hot up there!!! God Bless You "Phonsie".

Your Friend
Joan

Posted by Friend 4 years ago
I bid you a tearful adieu. I'll remember you as a generous man and a very proud Montserratian.

Rest in Peace, Arrow -->

Posted by Marilyn Tbeur 4 years ago
I loved Mighty Arrow, and really enjoyed his hit song.... Hot Hot Hot! It also urked me when this guy Poindexter in America was getting credit for this song. My condolences to his entire family and fans!

Marilyn Ross-Tbeur
KC MO USA

Posted by heather 4 years ago
Arrow will surely be missed my condolences to his family

Posted by Dave&Co; 4 years ago
Yes Arrow will be missed but that song continues to be played in all parts of the globe

RIP Arrow -

Posted by Ian James 4 years ago
My condolences to the Cassell family. We have lost a genius. A few years ago I did a radio program and played a countdown of the top 200 soca/calypso songs ever recorded and performed. Hot-Hot-Hot was the number one, and I don't think many will argue on that decision. In addition to Hot-Hot-Hot he had many other hits such as Soca Rumba and Madame. In the 1980's we party lovers always looked forward to Arrow's next album, because it was loaded with many good songs. Rest in peace.
De Music Master

Posted by Joerg Zindler 4 years ago
Farewell Arrow,
You'll be missed,
Rest in peace man

Joerg, The BajanZindy in Berlin, Germany

Posted by Marilyn Tbeur 4 years ago
Am I reading right? "He also toured with Arrow to Morocco, where the singer performed for and was the guest of King Hussein". As far as I know, the King of Morocco before he passed away was King Hassan.(my husbands name) King Hussein was King of Jordan! Arrow's music will live on forever as I still play Hot Hot Hot. Rest In Peace Arrow!

Marilyn Ross-Tbeur
KC MO USA

Posted by YOGI NI 4 years ago
May God grant him eternal rest may his soul be at peace with GOD. My love goes out to his family. Arrow's music has made many people around the world happy over the years. He was a great performer, who will be missed.

Posted by statement 4 years ago
MY DEEPEST SYMPATHY TO THE FAMILY OF ARROW IN GODS ARMS MAY HE REST IN PEACE FOREVER. MEMORIES OF HIM AND HIS MUSIC WILL LIVE WITHIN THE MINDS AND HEARTS OF MANY OF US R.I.P.....

Posted by Joerg Zindler 4 years ago
Farewell Mighty Arrow. Keep it Hot, Hot, Hot in heaven. My dearest condolences to the family and friends.
May you rest in peace

Posted by Andrea 4 years ago
As a Montserration, it is with great sorrow that we see one of our icons pass. We will miss him dearly. Above all though he was a great father, and I feel the pain mostly for his last child, I only wish all this out pouring of love will comfort her and the boys a little.

ARROW, ARROW, ARROW

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >

Do you believe that the Barbados Bar Association has been effective in dealing with cases of theft when they have been brought before them?

• Sunday Sept 21 2014 cover - 2014 09 21