- BARBADOS EMPLOYERS' CONFEDERATION: Be careful what you say, be careful what you do! Read More
- THE HOYOS FILE: Massy’s colonies help the Mother Country Read More
- Real Madrid want more Champions League glory Read More
- Select XI beat UWI again Read More
- MAVIS BECKLES: Evahthing changing Read More
- I CONFESS: Always be prepared for life’s mishaps Read More
- Two bites at City by night Read More
The headlines read: Rihanna tickets snapped up, $500 VIP tickets fly. When will I see the headline Rihanna donates to the QEH? or Rihanna donates to the Barbados Cancer Society? If I have missed these headlines, please let me know. I would like to know if Rihanna has ever donated any of her earnings to any of the charities in Barbados. As a community volunteer in Toronto, Canada, I feel I should write about how important it is for Bajans to recognize the importance of “giving back” to the community; that helping others and being unselfish are great qualities; and that volunteering is something we should teach our kids. Life is not only about buying a big home or driving a fancy car, or buying the latest designer bag. It is about looking after our poor and those who cannot help themselves. It is about helping our sick. Those of us who are doing well financially owe something to the community (whether it is our time and/or money) and should give generously without expecting anything in return. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the Barbados Cancer Society, Barbados Cancer Support Services, the School For The Blind – to name a few – need our time and our money, and should not have to rely on funds from the Government only. Rihanna is not obligated to give back to her community; but if she did, it would be very kind and gracious of her. I would be so proud if Rihanna donated some of her earnings from her Barbados Loud concert to a Barbadian charity of her choice.