- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Amazon pulls the plug on New York headquarters Read More
- Titus strikes gold Read More
- Bajans seeking more Carifta swim medals Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Don’t spoil the ‘Endgame’ Read More
I SUBMIT a few verses for our Barbados at it reaches 50 years of Independence.
Fire, fire, burning brightly,
Flames burst forth through hills and valleys
Into city and to country
Touching houses with consummate caring.
People gaze in wild amazement
At this unexplained event.
Bring no water to quench this fire
For it is a fire of love,
For it is a fire of love.
Love for country, our Barbados,
So so small, but yet so great!
Education you have given us
Primary right to tertiary;
In the health and social service
Something there for everyone,
Difficult sometimes, but yet helping
Many needs still being met.
But amidst this love and beauty
Some still hate, and fight, and wound;
Let’s join hands and give assistance
To tum these unwelcome scenes around.
But, do not quench this spreading fire,
Do not quench these burning flames,
This is love for our Barbados
This is love for home, sweet home.
Let us cherish and embrace it,
Let us use our talents here;
Never, never, snuff out this fire,
For it is the fire of love,
Fire of love for Dear Barbados.
So let the bells peal . . .
Sing songs of joy and praise,
For Barbados now at 50 years!
– PHYLLIS O MURRELL