- FTC issues two decisions Read More
- ECCB to issue world’s first blockchain-based digital currency Read More
- Mottley against clean sweep Read More
- Call for mini-stadiums Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Mandela arrives for visit with PM and Buju show Read More
RICKEY SINGH’s recent article indicates he may not understand American History.
The United States is not and has never been a democracy. It is a republic. The states joined together as a republic with certain guarantees to prevent the concentration of power in the large states – a kind of 18th century fear of colonialism by the small states against the large states.
The Electoral College was one of the ways the republic guaranteed these rights to the small states. Without these protections for the small states, there would have been no United States of America.
So to keep using the term democracy when the United States is a republic serves no purpose except to reflect the writer’s lack of understanding of the American system.
– RICHARD SHERMAN