Some of the damage wrought by Hurricane Irma in Tortola. (Picture by Nigel Browne.)
- St Lucia’s Prime Minister proposes new US Caribbean trade initiative Read More
- C&W announces partial restoration of mobile network In Dominica Read More
- Sir Hilary’s goal Read More
- Quake cancels CAC meet Read More
- Shade of the soul main thing Read More
- A punishment, not deterrent Read More
- Neesha feels So Amazing with another award Read More
Plans have been put in place to help Barbadians return from Tortola following Hurricane Irma.
The Ministry of Foreign has advised all Barbadian citizens to go directly to the Terrance B Lettsome International Airport.
British military flights will be leaving Tortola to come to Barbados every two hours for the rest of the week.
Evacuees will need to present their Barbados passport or another form of Barbados identification.
The Ministry said it was best for individuals to try to get to the airport but if they are unable to do so, they should contact Ministry officials.
At the military roadblock by Beef Island, citizens need to tell personnel they are acting on the Ministry’s advice to go directly to the airport for the planned evacuation.
Individuals should call, WhatsApp or text Lisa (1-246-836-0449) or Rhanda (1-246-253-2941).
They can also call Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1-246-431-2200).
Meanwhile, the Barbados Defence Force, with the assistance of the Regional Security System Headquarters, has already organised the evacuation of 12 Barbadians from Tortola.
The RSS plane will depart Barbados today at 11 a.m. (NB)