- Minor items on CFATF ‘to do’ list Read More
- BEHIND THE HEADLINES: Growth through tourism and culture Read More
- Bajan Gems rout Argentina Read More
- King ready to bounce back Read More
- FLYING FISH & COU COU: Awaiting word from the CJ Read More
- EDITORIAL: Don’t dismiss our concerns Read More
- Weekend Buzz August 26, 2016 Read More
BRONX, New York, Oct. 14 CMC -Jamaican entertainer, Captain Barkey, who gained fame with the 1996 hit, Go Go Wine, was shot dead in the parking lot of a motel in Bronx, New York early Saturday morning. Barkey, whose real name is Wayne Hamilton and a female companion, Tracy Bennett,38 were about to leave the Holiday Motel in her white Toyota Camry when the gunman attacked them. The New York Daily News reported - "Hamilton hopped from the passenger seat and tried to escape the hail of bullets that cut him down just outside the motel office". "The suspect then turned his pistol on the weeping Bennett as she stood next to her parked sedan, its motor still running," the newspaper report added. Both the Daily News and the New York Post reported witnesses as saying that Bennett pleaded for her life before she, too, was shot dead. The New York Post reported that Bennett had a restraining order against the suspect, believed to be her ex-lover. Witnesses said the shooter, a tall man in a brown shirt, jumped into a car with New York plates and sped off after committing the murders. Media reports said luggage was still in the couple's hotel room. Captain Barkey was a veteran of the sound system circuit. He had a few minor hits before topping local charts 16 years ago with Go Go Wine.