- Making monumental impact Read More
- British Airways boost for travel to and from Barbados Read More
- Jules to miss USVI game Read More
- Two reign supreme Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- Stan Lee, creator of many Marvel superheroes, dead at 95 Read More
Those were the days. We always killed a pig and took orders where we sold almost the whole thing!
Remember the wine and falernum that you took your gallon bottles to buy from a store in High Street? When I was in high school, in town, I was asked to pick it up after school. I was embarrassed in my uniform in the store, but on the school bus, I was queen. I guess lots of parents could only afford a pint and a half bottle. So, you could imagine how it was when I got on with a gallon bottle, heavy as anything, and having that little handle by the neck to carry it by.
That was good port wine. I have been trying for years to find a port tasting like that to no avail.
With the ham, oil skin, (we only had congoleum in the shed roof), pudding and cake, plus the baked pork, man, the house was one mass of smells. It smelled like Christmas!
– by Bajans
What are your memories of how you spent the Christmas holidays in Barbados? Share them with us. Leave a comment or send us an email with the subject Memories of a Bajan Christmas to firstname.lastname@example.org