Meagan Best. (FILE)
- AA goes cashless in Barbados Read More
- World Bank's Kim sees ‘clear’ economic slowdown if trade war escalates Read More
- Great knock – while it lasted Read More
- FIFA link in place Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- City Nights take on Broadway feel Read More
BARBADIAN SQUASH sensation Meagan Best has written her name in the record books again.
The 15-year-old captured the girls’ Under-17 division of the Junior United States Open to become the first Bajan to win a title at the event.
Playing in the final against Malak Ashraf Kamal of Eygpt, Best, who was seeded at No. 5, overcame a first set loss to come away with an exciting five-set victory, winning 4-11, 11-3, 11-5, 5-11, 11-9.
Her success followed her second place showing at the Canadian Open last week.
The Under-17 girls’ division attracted 118 competitors from more than 900 players who took part in the three-day tournament which was played at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut.
Best, the reigning Caribbean and national senior women’s champion, was second in the US Open last year and winner of the Canadian Open. (HG)