NRP leader Joseph Parry (FILE)
- CIBC FirstCaribbean appoints new CIO, managing director Read More
- Sam Lord’s Castle: Into The Future Read More
- CWI sends condolences to Windies U19 player Joshua Persaud Read More
- Barbados hammer Scorpions Read More
- Stick to preaching the Gospel Read More
- Relegate Nelson to museum Read More
- King Bubba on Bequia stage tonight Read More
CHARLESTOWN, Nevis – Joseph Parry, the former premier and leader of the Nevis Reformation Party (NRP) Wednesday announced his intention to step down “over the next few weeks” after the party failed to lost the Nevis Island Administration (NIA) poll late last month.
“. . . Let me make it clear what my intention is, my intention over the next few weeks is to step down as leader of the Nevis Reformation Party. It is important that I give that party the opportunity to organise their transition period so that we can have a smooth movement from the present situation to one that will strengthen the party for the future,” he said in a statement.
Parry, who served as premier from 2006-13, was the only successful candidate of the NRP in the December 18 NIA that was won by the Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) headed by Foreign Affairs Minister, Mark Brantley.
There had been speculation that Parry, who began his political career in 1987, and is a former minister in the Federation government of St Kitts-Nevis, would step down following the defeat.
In his statement, Parry said the NRP would be a responsible opposition.
“I can assure you the Nevis Reformation Party will not stand in the way of development in any way but certainly it is our business and our responsibility to ensure that if anything is wrong, that we point it out and also that we suggest alternatives that we would have pursued and that we think should be pursued in the interest of the country.”
But he said he was satisfied with the campaign run by the NRP even though the party lost the election.
“The people of Nevis or those who voted in the elections made their choice, and it is for us to accept the results as they have been presented.
“I want to say that the Nevis Reformation Party has always stood for the advancement of the people of Nevis especially the young people of Nevis and we want to see that the young people of Nevis continue to take an interest in what is happening, that they educate and train themselves to take over this country and to take it in the right direction.”
Parry said one of the defeated candidates, Robelto Hector, has indicated that he will challenge the election results in Charlestown.
“I spoke to Mr Hector . . . and he has assured me that he will challenge the seat in Charlestown because he is dissatisfied with the results. He feels and the party feels, that there were a number of irregularities, committed both in the electoral office and elsewhere to warrant his objecting and going to court on this very serious matter.
“I do hope the supporters of the Nevis Reformation Party and the public as a whole will support this move because it is very important that we have free and fair elections every time. That is what our democratic process is about.”
Meanwhile, Opposition Leader Dr Denzil Douglas has praised Parry for his contribution to the development of the twin island Federation, saying: “I thank him most graciously for his many years of service and the extensive contribution to the overall development of Nevis and Federation on a whole.
“May his legacy live on and serve as an immortal example of stellar leadership and citizenship,” said Douglas, a former prime minister. (CMC)