- No comfort in CIBC comment on downgrade Read More
- TOURISM MATTERS: Opportunities aplenty with new airlift Read More
- Coaching boost for NSC Read More
- Sauna Heats tame Lions Read More
- FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH: Water a national priority Read More
- EDITORIAL: Jamaica’s overtures a benefit to all Read More
- Drake joins Forbes list of top five richest hip-hop stars Read More
CASTRIES, St Lucia (CMC) – A police officer came under fire from gunmen as St Lucia recorded its first homicide for the new year. A police statement confirmed that a 27-year-old man was shot and killed in New Village in the capital last night, adding that “subsequent to that incident, several shots were fired at a police officer who was in the vicinity of New Village”. It gave no further details, but residents of he area said that police officers came under fire from gunmen when they turned up to investigate the murder of Joel Nobal, who was shot in the head. In the statement, the police said they had observed Nobal’s body seated on a bench under a shed with a gunshot wound to the head. He was later pronounced dead on the scene by a medical practitioner. Police said that one man is assisting their investigations.