- World Bank's Kim sees ‘clear’ economic slowdown if trade war escalates Read More
- AA extends daily flight service to Barbados Read More
- Odds against Windies in One-Dayers Read More
- BFA’s Premier season starts Read More
- Wanted: A more efficient airport Read More
- Low-hanging fruit for all Read More
- City Nights take on Broadway feel Read More
The installation parade for the new Governor General, Justice Sandra Mason, is currently underway in the Senate Chambers of the House of Parliament.
The ceremony was delayed slightly due to an islandwide power outage.
The newly knighted Dame Sandra Mason in her first official remarks as Governor General, said her appointment brought a range of emotions including "humility, euphoria, responsibility and regret."
She paid tribute to those who have gone before her, saying she has been the beneficiary of the "largely unheralded" work and struggle of the "proud and courageous women" across the region who have gone before her.
"I consider myself to be an ordinary person who has been blessed with extraordinary opportunities and experiences," stated Dame Sandra.
Scores of Barbadians and visitors lined the Chamberlain Bridge in hopes of getting a glimpse of the island's second female Governor General. Sharply outfitted in a powder blue skirt suit and gold hat, Dame Sandra arrived shortly before 4 pm in National Heroes Square.
While the majority of businesses were closed to business ahead of the parade, Chefette and I Like, I Like remained open to business on Marhill Street, The City. (RA/ALF)