FLASHBACK: Jalon Samuel celebrating after winning last year’s Gold Cup on Dorsett ahead of High Noon Rider and Rafael Hernandez. (FILE)
- CIBC FirstCaribbean appoints new CIO, managing director Read More
- Sam Lord’s Castle: Into The Future Read More
- Easy, breezy Butterfly Read More
- North pull it off Read More
- Role of Christ’s soldiers in society Read More
- Solidarity now an empty slogan Read More
- King Bubba on Bequia stage tonight Read More
The hat-trick-seeking Dorsett spearheads a field of 12 nominees for the March 3 running of the 37th Sandy Lane Barbados Gold Cup at the Garrison Savannah.
The Barbados Turf Club announced the field on Friday, when the first subscription date passed.
Apart from his local rivals, Dorsett, owned by Steve and Allan Madoo, will once more have to contend with a double assault from the United States and a solitary invader from Trinidad and Tobago.
Carrying all American hopes will be the Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey pair of Shining Copper and Sir Dudley Digges, while Trini Navigator is given the sole responsibility to deliver for the twin-island republic.
After hitting a double home run in his first two attempts in the Caribbean’s premier horse race, with Major Marvel in 2014 and Sayler’s Creek in 2015, Ramsey has had to settle for consecutive runners-up positions.
Ramsey beefed up his artillery with Watchyourownbobber and High Noon Rider, but they simply had no answers against Dorsett. His other unsuccessful runners then were Sayler’s Creek and Keystoneforvictory. (LY)