• Today
    September 23

  • 06:20 AM

Lester Vaughan attack victim transferred

ANTOINETTE CONNELL, antoinetteconnell@nationnews.com

Added 20 January 2018

nationnewsway

A schoolgirl who suffered a severe beating at the hands of some of her schoolmates last year has been transferred.

But the mother of the now 16-year-old teenager is dismayed that her child was the one to be transferred from the Lester Vaughan School and not the alleged perpetrators.

Marcia Carrington, the mother of the victim, said that since September her daughter, who was set upon by a group of girls outside the school compound in May, was no longer at the school after she applied for and received a transfer.

The horrifying ordeal was captured on a cell phone and widely circulated on social media, including Facebook, to the alarm of viewers who watched as the student was pummelled about the body and kicked in the head while someone stood on her neck. In a show of compassion a number of viewers reacted by donating money to assist with the girl’s medical costs, which ran into the hundreds of dollars.

Carrington said that her daughter was still suffering from pains in her back and neck and as a result had been ruled out of taking part in running events at her new school. She must also have dental work done to repair her broken teeth.

“She gets pain inside the neck and inside the back. She also can’t participate in running anymore because when she went to . . . and try to run she collapse and they tell she, she can’t compete for a little while – I don’t know how long,” Carrington reported.

She said her daughter felt she had been done a wrong twice, as she was beaten and her transfer resulted in her having to repeat fourth form.

“They [attackers] gone up and she had to repeat fourth form . . . . They [school authorities] put her back in fourth form because she had missed a lot of things but this time she did well in the report,” Carrington said.

Several young people charged in connection with the beating are expected back in the District “D” Magistrates’ Court on May 12. (AC)

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Dos and Donts


Welcome to our discussion forum here on nationnews.com. We encourage lively debate, but we also urge you to take note of the following:

  • Stay on topic – This helps keep the thread focused on the discussion at hand. If you would like to discuss another topic, look for a relevant article.
  • Be respectful – Meeting differences of opinion with civil discussion encourages multiple perspectives and a positive commenting environment.
  • Do not type in capitals – In addition to being considered “shouting” it is also difficult to read.
  • All comments will be moderated – Given the volume of comments each day, this may take some time. So please be patient.
  • We reserve the right to remove comments – Comments that we find to be abusive, spam, libellous, hateful, off-topic or harassing may be removed.
  • Reproduction of comments – Some of your comments may be reproduced on the website or in our daily newspapers. We will use the handle, not your email address.
  • Do not advertise – Please contact our Advertising Department.
  • Contact our Online Editor if you have questions or concerns.
  • Read our full Commenting Policy and Terms of Use.
comments powered by Disqus

POLL

Barbados has introduced e-passports which feature biometric chips embedded in them. Do you think this will increase security and ease travel?

Yes
No
Not sure

FRONT COVER OF TODAY'S NEWSPAPER

CARTOON

INSTAGRAM